Investigating Social Factors Associated with Emotional Labor Among Nurses (Case Study; Tehran West Region Hospital's)

Akbar Talebpour, Ali Rabbani Khurasghani, Vahid Ghasemi

Abstract


This study has investigated the emotional labor and it's effective factor's in Tehran West region hospitals , The sample consisted of 315 nurses working at the hospitals, Erfan, Ibne- Sina, Imam Khomeini, Jam, Mostafa Khomeini, payambar, Sarem and sherkate naft. 67 percent of the respondents were women and the rest of them were men. In this study emotional labor is measured by two dimensions: surface acting and deep acting. This two dimensions are covered by 13 items. Factor analysis of questionnaire items indicates a good construct validity of the measurement instrument and reliability of questionnaire items which extracted by Cronbach's alpha was suitable. The effect of each independent variable on the dependent variable was measured by using regression model. All independent variables were accounted for about 66 percent of the variability , but the remaining 34 percent were not explained by the regression model. The results showed the emotional labor of the nurses is above the average level and deep acting was more than surface acting. Job autonomy has the most positive impact on increasing emotional labor where as jobs hierarchy systems has the most negative impact on doing emotional labor. The results of the study also shows, hospital expectations oblige the nurses to perform duties which their job responsibilities and do not expect them to do emotional labor.

DOI: 10.5901/mjss.2013.v4n4p369


Full Text: PDF

Licenza Creative Commons
This work is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences ISSN 2039-9340(Print) ISSN 2039-2117(Online)

Copyright © MCSER-Mediterranean Center of Social and Educational Research

To make sure that you can receive messages from us, please add the 'mcser.org' domain to your e-mail 'safe list'. If you do not receive e-mail in your 'inbox', check your 'bulk mail' or 'junk mail' folders..